What do Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic do?
Set up, operate, or tend machines to extrude or draw thermoplastic or metal materials into tubes, rods, hoses, wire, bars, or structural shapes.
What are the Main Tasks of Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic?
- Measure and examine extruded products in order to locate defects, and to check for conformance to specifications; adjust controls as necessary to alter products.
- Determine setup procedures and select machine dies and parts, according to specifications.
- Install dies, machine screws, and sizing rings on machines that extrude thermoplastic or metal materials.
- Change dies on extruding machines according to production line changes.
- Start machines and set controls to regulate vacuum, air pressure, sizing rings, and temperature, and to synchronize speed of extrusion.
- Replace worn dies when products vary from specifications.
- Reel extruded products into rolls of specified lengths and weights.
- Troubleshoot, maintain, and make minor repairs to equipment.
- Clean work areas.
- Adjust controls to draw or press metal into specified shapes and diameters.
- Operate shearing mechanisms to cut rods to specified lengths.
- Select nozzles, spacers, and wire guides, according to diameters and lengths of rods.
- Weigh and mix pelletized, granular, or powdered thermoplastic materials and coloring pigments.
- Load machine hoppers with mixed materials, using augers, or stuff rolls of plastic dough into machine cylinders.
- Test physical properties of products with testing devices such as acid-bath testers, burst testers, and impact testers.
- Maintain an inventory of materials.