Visas for United States of America

Applying for a visa in America can be a tedious process, depending on the candidate’s demographics. Below are some of the main visas when applying to work, study or travel in America.Visa

H1B / H2B Visa (work)

If you’re looking to work in America, the main USA Work Visas are the H1B Visa for long term professional level employment, or the H2B visa for short term temporary/seasonal work. The US Governments H1B and H2B Visa Programs are designed to provide International Workers and Students, from all over the World, or already in the USA, the opportunity to live and work in America in either long or short term employment.

There are different types of jobs and work available in the United States and based on what you're looking for and what you qualify for will determine what type of work visa you need. The Process to obtain a US Work Visa is: 

1) You must 'first' find a job with a US company who will sponsor a work visa application for you. 
2) Your new employer (Sponsor Company) then files your H1B or H2B visa for you.
3) Your visa application is approved by the US Immigration Bureau. 
4) You can start work for your new employer (H1B or H2B Sponsor Company) in the USA.

TN1 Visa (work)

This visa is specifically for Canadian and Mexican citizens who are hoping to work in America.  It is similar to the H1B visa whereby a Sponsor Company is needed to support the candidate. This visa is not created for self-employment. It is primarily meant for Canadian and Mexican nationals looking for short-term employment in a professional manner. The TN1 Visa lasts for one year, although can be renewed if necessary.

E3 Visa (work)

This visa is specifically for Australian nationals looking to work in America.  The E3 visa is similar to the H1B visa whereby a Sponsor Company is needed to support the candidate. This allows Australian citizens to work in the U.S and the E3 visa is easier and cheaper to obtain than the H1B visa. A relatively new ruling has been introduced whereby the spouse of an E3 holder can now legally work in America, which has prevented many Australians from applying in the past.

F1 Visa (study)

1) The primary USA study visa is an F1 visa which is for 'academic' studies.
2) The second type of study visa is an M visa is for 'non-academic or vocational' studies. 

The first step for a prospective student is being accepted for enrolment in an established school (University/College) which is SEVP certified. In general, for academic students, including those in language training, F1 visas are the appropriate category, and for non-academic vocational students an M visa is the appropriate category.

If you are applying for an F1 Student Visa from your home country, you will begin by selecting a school in the USA where you want to study and applying to the school. If your application is accepted you will obtain Form I-20 from the DSO (Designated School Official) and pay the I-901 SEVIS receipt. You will be added to the SEVIS database with an individual ID number.
After all the paperwork is complete, an embassy interview will take place to see if you are eligible for the specific visa and allow you to begin working in America.

J1Visa (practical work training)

This visa is purposely designed for students to travel to America to partake in work training specifically related to their study. This is usually related to training that cannot be found in their home country. The visa can also be used for summer travel/work, in which many students apply for and spend up to 3months in their chosen destination. This is a common visa throughout the summer months, and gives young students an opportunity to work and travel to America and experiences their culture for the 1st time in most cases.




Questions and Answers

We have thousands of local members waiting to answer your questions on living and working in United States of America. Join Worky or to Join the Discussion.

More about United States of America